Monday, August 10, 2009

Day One Down

We had a short "trial" run last Friday, but our first official day of school was today. So, are you just dying to hear how it went??? I would love to tell you that everything was wonderful and rosy but, I made a promise to myself that I would share the good, the bad and the ugly of our home school journey, so here goes...

Today got off to a VERY rough start. I kind of had a feeling that once the reality of everything set in, my little man(who had gone to public school for kindergarten and first grade) might have a hard time adjusting to my new role as his teacher. So, yes, he had a very hard time indeed. He said a few things like:

* "This is not the way Ms. H did it last year."

or

* "I don't want to sit by my sister."

or

* "I don't want to be home schooled anymore. Actually, I don't want to have school at all."

So we stopped for an early lunch around 11 AM, prayed, regrouped and then dove back in. And guess what? That prayer (and lunch) worked wonders! Everyone came back to the learning room, much less crabby (myself included)! We were able to get through math, spelling and a language lesson in about 45 minutes. Our school day ended at 12:45. We relaxed for a bit before heading off for some fellowship with some awesome friends. All in all, I think it was a pretty great day, even if it got off to a rocky start.

Tomorrow, my husband is off work, so we will have a pretty light school day, lots of fun with Daddy and finish up tomorrow's lessons on Saturday when he is at work.

Thanks for reading!

~Elizabeth~

3 comments:

  1. Carry on, friend. Nice to know we're not the only ones who had a Monday! : ) Love prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I thought it was pretty funny that yesterday on facebook, quite a few other home school Mom's were posting about what a rough Monday they had. We are definitely NOT alone:)

    ReplyDelete